23 June 2007

First Post!

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by! I am officially in business and ready to bring you my latest designs. To give you a brief background, I hand make resin jewellery using real leaves, flowers, shells etc. I discovered this technique after my friend gave me a pendant from a designer in Toronto. It was so interesting, that I had to know what they used and how it was made. After extensive research, about a million batches of toxic chemicals and my husband yelling at me not to breath in the fumes, I believe I have perfected my craft. OK, maybe not perfect, but a good handle on it.

I love coming up with new ways to use resin and interesting things to cast into it. My favorite part of the whole process is popping the unfinished pieces out of their molds! Because every one is different, it's always so exciting to see how they turned out.

Without giving away my top secret ways...the process is basically mixing two chemicals together to make a liquid plastic, I pour it into various molds, use special pigments to colour them, wait about 48 hours for them to cure, sand, drill, polish, and string on a necklace...whoa! In all it takes about three days to complete a piece.

Keep checking back for more designs, and where you can find me selling my jewellery!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving a comment cause nobody else did!

Anonymous said...

I'm leaving a comment too - I'm her MOM and I think her jewelery is the gratest - using found items from nature and turning them into works of art for others to wear!! Way to go Karin!!!